Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

Is Alliant approved for the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Thank you for inquiring about our status with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. We are an "Approved" University for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. 

How do I apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Thank you for your inquiry. You can apply for the GI Bill by filling out the VA forms at the following link: For more information on which form you should complete, please see below.
  • If you are applying for the first time, please complete VA form 22-1990. 
  • If you are transferring your benefits from another institution, please complete form 22-1995
When will I receive my Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Thank you for your inquiry.  Tuition and fee payment under the Post 9/11 GI Bill is sent directly to Alliant while both the book stipend and the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) is sent directly to the student. Alliant transmits enrollment certifications for the Post 9/11 GI Bill to the VA to activate benefits for the term generally shortly after registration each term to ensure payment of the book stipend and the MHA to the student. However, tuition and fees are not reported until after the add/drop deadline. Generally, payment for tuition and fees is disbursed to Alliant within 2-3 weeks after Alliant reports tuition and fees. Students are notified by email each time an enrollment certification is transmitted to the VA on behalf of the student.

What is considered full-time for students looking to utilize their GI bill (Chapter 33)

Thank you for inquiring about GI (Chapter 33) full-time status for Alliant students.  The criteria for full-time status for both Undergraduate and Graduate as well as course length terms has been noted below for your convenience:

Graduate Students
  • 8 Weeks = 4 Units or More
  • 10 Weeks = 5 Units or More
  • 16 Weeks = 8 Units or More
Undergraduate Students
  • 8 Weeks = 5 Units or More
  • 16 Weeks = 12 Units or More
*Please Note: For the summer term (10-week), to be considered full-time, you must be enrolled in 7 units or more.  

MHA: The Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) rate is based on the zip code of the campus with which you are affiliated, and is generally the same as the military Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. Students must be enrolled more than half-time for MHA eligibility.  NOTE examples have been provided below:
  • Example 1: If you are an undergraduate student, and you register for 6 units (2 courses, 3 units per course) in a 16-week term, you are considered half-time, as full-time is defined as 12 units over a 16-week semester for undergraduate students.
  • Example 2: If you are an undergraduate student, and you register for 9 units (3 courses, 3 units per course) you are considered ¾ time or 75% (9/12).  
*The BAH calculator may be found at   
You may contact your Student Affairs Representative if you have additional questions.  A list of campuses Representatives and contact information may be found below:






Brian Evans

(559) 253-2211


Nicole Camaras

(949) 812-7464

Los Angeles

Celia Lopez

(626) 270-3311


Kimberly Gardner

(916) 561-3224

San Diego

Ted Himes

(858) 635-4439

San Francisco

Allyson Martinez

(415) 955-2167

San Francisco Law School

Pat Alley

(415) 626-5550


Can my spouse transfer their GI Bill to me?

Thank you for your inquiry.  A special provision of the new Post-9/11 GI Bill offers education benefits for the spouses and children of service members and veterans. Eligibility to transfer benefits is determined by the Department of Defense while the payment of benefits is handled by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Under the new law, the Department of Defense is authorized to allow the following individuals to transfer unused GI Bill entitlement to their spouse: individuals who have served at least 6 years in the Armed Forces, and who agree to serve at least another 4 years.  In addition, when a service member reaches their 10-year anniversary they can choose to transfer the benefit to any dependents, spouse or children.

How does my spouse transfer their GI Bill to me?

**Alliant is committed to serving our military community, and we are always looking for opportunities to improve our relationship with our military students.  We appreciate and recognize the service and sacrifices of our nation’s active and veteran military personnel and their families. Our goal is to provide you with the best possible service.**  

Did you find this article helpful?